Re: Will Fred Luntsford Change his Vote?
Wise county needs to go ahead and consolidate. Why is everyone so against better schools, athletic facilities and athletic teams? Plus not to mention the amount of money it will save in the long run. Plus it will be a lot less trouble for teams traveling to Wise county for athletic event's.
They need to call one school the Powell Valley Bulldogs and the other Pound Indians. That's what everyone is upset about over there. Mama and daddy don't want their kids going to school with the rival.
Re: Will Fred Luntsford Change his Vote?
And Luntsford is no better than anyone else if he's going to change his vote. This is terrible, finally had something in sight and now it might get set back and another **** decade. They'll start all over, they'll put forth more plans and the same people will ***** because they aren't worried about their kids education just school spirit.
Re: Will Fred Luntsford Change his Vote?
Fred Luntsford is to be commeneded on his re-establishing his stance against the 2 on 1 idiotic idea. They should have never blackmailed him with the gym, it wasnt right. The people of Big Stone Gap will stand firmly with its neighbors and the elementary gym will be built in Appalachia. Also, everyone will pull together now and do whats right for our kids, the schools will remain open. I will go out tonite and enjoy a heated rivalry game between PV and Appy and I will be shaking some Dawg hands tonite. R13, once again you can kiss my ass.
Re: Will Fred Luntsford Change his Vote?
I would like to comment on this Wise County embarrassment. I would first like to say I respect your opinion whether you support or oppose consolidation but something must be done. I think Mr Lunsford was put in a bad situation and as an elected official of Appalachia he should represent their wishes. But this changes everything. Teachers has not had a raise in 3 years and have lsot money on their paychecks because the increasing of health costs. The schools are so far behind they truly are in bad shape. Now Yes renovation is an option and the building could be brought up to standards but how many of you today are going to buy a 50 year old home and totally gut it when you can purschase an new home for slightly more.
The two on one was insane but to his credit Mr Perry has offered almost every scenario possible. The BOS are killing Wise County with no vision. Look over the past 40 years there has been a lo of money come through the county and what do we have to show for it?
Closing schools will kill a community that is true and isn't funny the fine people of BSG only realized that in the last 6 months? wake up the people, the ones in charge are only concerned about their little corner of wise County and the 3 smaller towns are going to lose no matter what.
I will tell you what is going to happen for everyone that is gloating NO MORE HIGH SCHOOLS IN APPALACHIA AND POUND St Paul is not out of the woods but the Russell County kids are keeping them safe for the moment. The answer was and in my opinion for what it is worth still is build thrree schools one at a time and be done with it. I am afraid in about 6 months the only peopl;e that will be happy will be living in Wise, and Bsg because they will have a school and they know very shortly they will have a new school.
Re: Will Fred Luntsford Change his Vote?
I live on a fixed income and I have not seen a raise in my benefits in 3 years either. My healthcare has gone up every year also, if you include the supplemental plan. I get no EBT, no assistance, I even have to pay all my taxes just like the teachers do. As a matter of fact, at least 75% of the teacher who are full time employees get more pay than I. The other 25% are new teachers and they start out at around 30,000. Now, I will be the first to agree to give the teachers a raise, but they were not going to receive one with the consolidation. They even got a bonus at the end of this year. I think they call it a stipend. I got no such raise at all.
I agree that schools need to be consolidate as I am a supporter of that, but I just can not and will not support such a fiasco as what is currently on the table. I have argued long and hard for consolidation and I don't even have a child in the system anymore. So, while I agree that the teachers deserve a raise, I don't think they should get one until I get one. After all, their salaries are paid for by the taxpayers, too. And before you start saying the I am one of those once a month check moochers, think again. Most everyone on here knows that if I was able to work, I would gladly work.
Yeah, Luntsford has said he is voting against it, but that vote is yet to come. I would think that since he has come out and publicly stated he was voting against it, then he will, afterall, most of the BOS has flip-flopped on their stand at least once before.
With this vote looming on the near horizon, I would also think that the old "Basham" plan will happen in the near future, or at least some version of it. I also think that now, St. Paul enters back into the mix of school closures.
Re: Will Fred Luntsford Change his Vote?
1. The BoS isn't guilty of lack of vision... they're guilty of sticking their noses where they don't belong. It's the job of the SCHOOL BOARD to oversee the schools; the BoS is (SHOULD BE) just the funding source
2. I still haven't seen anyone say exactly HOW closing a HS kills a community. If a community's LIFE is only five Friday nights a year, it's already dead.
Re: Will Fred Luntsford Change his Vote?
Helper with all due respect i was not speaking of 5 football nights a year. My understanding is if the child goes out of town example BGS to wise to school then it is more covenient to shop there and purchase things in that community. eventuallly those who can will move a little closer to the schools and during school events sports beauty pageants band concerts pta's the town the school is in will recieve more business. Nowe as far ass sports goes with at least 27 homes dates in 3 major sports there is quite a bit of traffic to local eating establishments. If you were to include more sports that would be involved ina consolidated school a would say that number doubles.
I agree about the BOS there is the probl;em anyone with an ounce opf power thins they run the whole show. Wise county has spent easily over 1 million dollars in buyouts and studies.
Dawg i think we agree and i was not implying anything towards yourself and your income but my point was keeping the schools open will only continue to hit the pockets of the counties workers.
Re: Will Fred Luntsford Change his Vote?
The teachers shouldn't get a raise unless everyone else down? Wow.
Re: Will Fred Luntsford Change his Vote?
Quote:
Originally Posted by
R13
The teachers shouldn't get a raise unless everyone else down? Wow.
Corrections Officers haven't seen raises is 5yrs lol. Where is mine? Nobody is getting raises. It is what it is
Re: Will Fred Luntsford Change his Vote?
And that's a issue with their own employer, but instead of saying someone else shouldn't get a raise until you do be happy they are and especially with a field of work that has a reputation for being highly underpaid.